Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Fantasy Football: What's Normal?

The Grab Bag Sports bloggers all play fantasy sports. From the racing league that Speedgeek created, to hockey and basketball, we've played together in many different types of leagues. But are we wasting our time? Or are we just like everyone else? This issue was kind of addressed in the discussion Wedge and I had concerning his "return" to watching football. But after having fun watching a dumb 49ers/Rams game last night with some friends in a fantasy league (a game none of us would've ever cared to watch without hoping for a Brian Quick explosion or something similar), I really started to wonder about the real data behind fantasy football.

The Fantasy Sports Trade Association has some impressive data and research results posted. Below I will highlight some of their numbers and statistics and do my best to gauge if each applies to me or not. According to the FSTA site, the data represents all fantasy sports (and not only football).

80% of fantasy players are male.

I am currently in four football leagues. Counting co-owners, we have 47 people (42 teams), and six of them (about 13%) are female. I have two leagues where the 20% number is right on. My other two leagues, though, have one female in 22 combined owners.

The average fantasy player has played for 9.51 years.

I've played for 17 years, and many of my friends are closer to that number. But we've definitely included new players most years, so that number could be fairly accurate.

The average fantasy player spends 8.67 hours each week on fantasy sports.

I feel like I spend quite a bit of time on fantasy sports. Maybe 30 minutes each day. That's kind of a lot, right? That's still only 3.5 hours! Are any of you spending NINE HOURS setting lineups and making trades? To get my total to the average, one of you is spending 14 hours! You're ridiculous.

The average fantasy player spends 17.89 hours each week on sports in general.

Wedge and I covered this in our discussion, and I think this number is accurate enough. I have some busier weeks where I'm closer to only 10 hours of sports, but I'm sure I go over 20 hours at times as well, especially around the holidays and bowl season. During baseball season, I'm sure I hit 18 hours each week on the Cubs alone most of the time.

46.8% of leagues have fees.

I'm way under this number. I'm probably in the minority, but I hate playing fantasy sports with money involved. It takes all of the fun out of it for me. I'd say fewer than 10% of my leagues have had fees, and I've never paid more than $20.

78% of fantasy players have at least a college degree.

Taking a quick look at my current leagues, and guessing in some cases, I'd say we're closer to 60-70%. Of course, many offices have work leagues, and some of those will be at 90-100%.

Other interesting numbers:

  • The average fantasy player spends $111 per year (league fees, transactions, web hosting, etc). 65% pay under $50 in entry fees each year, while 9% spend more than $300. (Obviously, not me.)
  • 74% of fantasy players research fantasy data from at least four different sports news websites. (I'm in the other 26% here. Maybe some years at draft time, I might have hit four different sites. But I usually stick with a couple of favorites.)
  • In the United States, 19% of all males (and 8% of all females) play fantasy sports.

1 comment:

The Speedgeek said...

All I know is that fantasy is lame. Not only should I probably NOT have won our 14-team league last year (I only won because Andy Dalton was thermonuclear hot for the last 4 weeks of the season, sweeping me through the playoffs), there's no reason that I should currently be in the 6-game catastrofiasco losing streak that I'm in now (for instance, I've gotten 11 total points out of my defenses over the last 6 weeks, including the 22 points that they scored in a single week...meaning that they've scored me -11 total points over the other 5 weeks of that stretch). Fantasy is totally random and a complete crap shoot, and doesn't indicate how successful you are as a human being.

Or so I keep telling myself.